The Copa America is currently ongoing and is set to conclude tomorrow (14 July). Everything has gone on a smooth path. There have been surprises and expected performances. It could be argued, however, that the highlight of the tournament so far could be the brawl that broke out in the aftermath of the semi-final between Uruguay and Colombia.
It was a fierce encounter between Colombia and Uruguay, as eight cards were shown, including a red to Colombia and Crystal Palace defender, Daniel Munoz. His club and international teammate, Jefferson Lerma, scored the only goal in the game to send Colombia to the final of Copa America, where they face Argentina on Sunday.
After this, an act of fisticuffs broke out between the Uruguayan players and the Colombian fans. One player that is of main focus during this whole fiasco is Uruguay striker, Darwin Nunez. Nunez stormed to the stands and let loose a few punches to opposing fans.
Fellow Uruguay player, Jose Maria Gimenez, has claimed that Nunez was simply trying to protect his family. He said, "This is a disaster. Our family was in danger. We had to go to the stands to take out our loved ones, with tiny newborn babies. There was not a single police officer... I hope those who are organising this are a little more careful with the families. Every game it's been happening because there are people who don't know how to handle a couple of drinks."
Uruguay striker, Luis Suarez, said, "Obviously if someone is attacking your family you want to go and defend them but that doesn't justify the image that it created."
There was no separation between the respective fans of the two countries. There was a higher proportion of Colombian fans to Uruguayan fans. Ugly scenes also broke out on the field after the final whistle, with players and staff from both teams involved in a mass melee in the centre-circle following Colombia's victory.
It wasn't just Nunez who stormed into the stands. There were several players who went in to protect the fans. This fight lasted for several minutes before the police arrived to halt it. There were between 80 - 100 Uruguay fans who stayed behind after the rest of the fans had left with Uruguay players returning to the field to meet them.
The South American football governing body, CONMEBOL, has strongly condemned the behaviour. They issued a statement, "CONMEBOL strongly condemns any acts of violence that affects football. Our work is based on the conviction that soccer connects and unites us through its positive values. There is no place for intolerance and violence on and off the pitch. We invite everyone in the remaining days to pour all their passion into cheering on their national teams and having an unforgettable party."
Despite his actions, the Uruguay FA has come out and defended his actions. They said, "The Uruguayan Football Association, given the publicly known events that occurred during the CONMEBOL Copa America semi-final match between Uruguay and Colombia, wishes to make the following comments," the statement read. The Uruguayan delegation, present in the United States for more than a month, has been carrying out its activity in an exemplary manner, both in its personal and group attitude and in its public statements.
"Respect for the organisation, rivals, journalism, security personnel and the general public has been constant, strictly complying with the rules of the tournament based on the traditional values of our country. On Wednesday, under a context of verbal violence, provocations and various attacks that affected all the Uruguayan fans who attended the match in different sectors, a group of Uruguayan fans, located behind the substitutes' bench and the technical area, were involved in various skirmishes that escalated in temperature until triggering situations in which several families of players and staff members of our team ended up involved.
"Faced with such a situation and in the context of moments of nervousness and desperation in which women and children were held hostage, several players went up to the stands to intercede for their protection and defence. It is notable that this event occurred in a context in which the proportion of Uruguayan fans was very minority, mostly families and there were not sufficient security mechanisms for this situation.
"Given these facts, and the lack of security mentioned, it was inevitable and natural the attitude of the players. Once the match was over, all the people involved in the events were evacuated with the collaboration of the authorities, but not before several of them were treated by the health services of the Uruguayan Football Association, which yesterday issued a medical report.
"Regarding the situation experienced in one of the booths where some leaders of the Uruguayan delegation and other fans who accompanied it were located, we must clarify that throughout the match that sector received hostility from the fans who were located adjacent to the just as they did against another group of Uruguayans who were a few meters from their location once the match ended. In this context, regrettable exchanges of attacks took place that we strongly condemn and that will be the subject of analysis on our part without prejudice to the sanctions that may apply to our institution based on the open files."
Uruguay manager, Marcelo Bielsa, didn't hold back in his post-match presser. He pointed the blame towards U.S. Soccer and the entire CONMEBOL federation for their lack of organisation after Uruguay players and staff were attacked following the 1-0 semi-final defeat to Colombia.
He said, "One has to speak thinking about all the threats that one receives if one speaks. The only thing I can say is that the players reacted as any human being would have done. If they are attacking his wife, his mother, a baby, his wife, his sister... What do you do?
"Do you ask if they are going to sanction those who went to defend? There is a degree of complicity, because the questions also act in a complicit manner. You (the journalists) have to say this, not what I have to say."
He additionally said, "When you see that there is a violent act, of course who is going to be in favour of a violent reaction, but the first thing you have to see is what the reaction is in response to, and if there would have been the possibility of doing it differently."
Bielsa then blew up again, as reporters continued to dismiss the incident and focus on other areas. He stated, "There is a portion of journalism that is bought. As I am not stupid, I said that I do not know in what proportion, but I do know that there is a percentage that does not say what it should say. I am innocent there because I am not accusing everyone, I am accusing those who remain silent."
The incident is still being investigated, with bans being speculated despite the Uruguay players doing their best to defend friends and family.
What happened is unacceptable. Families should never be targeted for violence. All the talking should be done on the football pitch. There's no room for violence period. If you see a loved one being harassed, the first thought shouldn't be, "punch them, punich them!" What should be done is rushing towards the loved ones and getting them away from the mess and not thinking about revenge.
As this case illustrates, when these outburst occurs, that event will be talked about more than the actual game or even the tournament. It will leave a pernament black mark on the event. It will be an event to forget for a long long time.